With Christmas just around the corner, and the winter nights drawing in, we thought it would be a good time to share our our very own Bohea Teas spiced Christmas tea recipe.
We know you can buy pre mixed Christmas blends, but it's incredibly easy to make your own, and the flavour of the tea is so much better. All you need is a good quality strong black tea. We use our Keemun Peony Chinese black tea. It's rich and full bodied which works wonderfully with the spices and orange zest.
Here's how we make our Christmas tea. The recipe below is for 1 litre, if you want to make more or less, just increase or decrease the ingredients accordingly.
INGREDIENTS (for 1L):
- 16g of Keemun Peony black tea
- 2 star anise
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- A thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 orange
- 2-3 tbsp. of dark muscovado sugar
- 1 litre of water
- Pour the water into a saucepan
- Add the spices and sugar and bring up to a boil, stirring occasionally to ensure the sugar dissolves
- While the water is heating, zest the orange and add this to the liquid
- Then squeeze the juice from the orange and add this to the pan
- Once the water has come to boil, add the tea leaves to the pan
- Tip - if you want to make this in advance, you can add the tea in a muslin bag or in 4 self fill tea bags. That way you can take the tea out so that it doesn't over brew. But this isn't necessary if you pla to serve the straight away
- Simmer the infusion for 5 mins
- Serve immediately
If you want to turn the tea into a more adult affair you can add a shot of dark rum, which makes a fantastic alternative to mulled wine on these cold winter nights.
We hope you enjoy the tea. Please do give us a tag on Instagram if you make it. We would love to se how you get on.